Pages

Saturday 9 March 2013

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

When creating my magazine, my main aim was to try and appeal to a specific target audience of just females aged 13 – 18 who are interested in pop music. I believe that my magazine has successfully done this due to the presentation of the magazine and the images chosen and the style of writing. 

I think that the social group within my target audience is represented well throughout my magazine, from looking at my front cover, the audience can tell which target market it is specifically targeted at due to the colour scheme used throughout and the main image. The colour scheme helps to represent the femininity with the use of bright colours. As my magazine is targeted mainly at females I have stuck to a purple colour scheme and used creative fonts. The fonts that I have used are bold and eroded which adds a nice texture to the page.

The cover models on my magazine look successful and superior due to the image taking up a lot of the space on the page with a few sell lines around the image. This suggests to the audience that they are well known to the readers which will target my target audience to buy the magazine as they will know that there will be a big exclusive about them. I imagine the readers of my magazine to be fans of the whole pop music genre, not just the artist featuring the issue. 

This is why I have also included other popular pop artists that I think they are interested in. For my Casting of models, I chose Louise and Emily because I believed that they would be able to create a sense of funniness in the photos used on the double page spread and as they are friends they would be relaxed in front of the camera when doing these photos. Also I choose them, because Louise has already experienced being in a photo shoot therefore she knew how the process was and was calm in front of the camera and didn't mind taking picture.  

As I have chosen to do a pop magazine, I have represented my models to appear approachable and fun. This is shown on my double page spread where you can see a few fun photos I have taken of them. This allows the reader to engage more with the magazine as they will idolise the artists due to them being fun and approachable. I have done this by using a few props such as lots of different types of sunglasses. My models are relaxed and confident which help to promote my magazine. During my photo shoot I had to make sure that my models have different types of facial expressions for different types of photos. This meant that my magazine would have a variation of facial expressions ranging from being serious to laughing to smiling. Depending on which photo I took my models needed to change costumes. 

For the front cover I wanted my models to have a smart party look, therefore I asked them to wear a skirt and a nice top which they would wear if they were going to a party. Another costume that my models wore were an outfit that they would wear when going out with their friends, this was just a pair of jeans with a plain top. Another costume they wore were an outfit they would wear in the summer when on holiday. I have used a variety of different costumes so that my target audience can have options for different occasions to idolise.

 Having said this, I have also insured that my article is also funny, in every pop magazine you will expect to see humour and relatable comments from artists. The language and tone of my article is quite laid back and includes a lot of laughter. I interviewed them in a way in which they were comfortable and oblivious to the recording. This made them confident to just speak what they wanted and how they wanted. 




No comments:

Post a Comment